Pacific Coast Roofing Service is a Bay Area roof contractor serving Oakland since 1996.
Our services include:
- Yearly Maintenance
- Tile Roofs
- Composition Roof
- All types of Gutters
- Tar and Gravel Roof
- Rock Roofs
- Metal Roofs
- Coping Metal
- Flashing Repair
- Dry-Rot Repair
- Water Testing
- Ridge Repair
- Emergency Cover-Ups
What should a homeowner expect when replacing a roof? A homeowner may be in for a surprise unless he or she has gone through the process once. The Oakland roofing contractor is getting the job done as quickly as possible. The noise and disruption is part of the process.
When dealing with a roof replacement, hiring a professional contractor is essential. A roof is critical for keeping a building weather tight. If the roof is not tight, leaking will happen. It is only a matter of time. The leak may not be visible immediately. Most leaks start as little drips. Eventually, they will become larger and cause damage. Get the job done right the first time by hiring a professional.
What to Expect During an Oakland Roof Replacement
When dealing with an old roof, the contractor can take two paths: cover over the old roof with new materials or strip the old roof off and put new roofing materials down. If a roof has more than one layer of roofing material on the deck, the contractor should strip the old materials off. Also, when leaking is a problem, stripping the roof is the best option again.
A roof replacement usually involves distinct steps. Here is a typical installation process for a composite or asphalt shingle roof:
- Remove old roofing materials, if necessary. This is the part where pieces of roofing may go flying. It usually involves shovels and special tools for pulling up the old materials. The roofer will clean up the mess.
- Inspect roof deck for rot or leaks. Replace as needed. Keeping the roof deck solid will make any roof materials applied last longer.
- Install underlayment. For an asphalt shingle roof, the usual underlayment material is tar paper. This material helps keep the roof waterproof.
- Snap a chalk line. When applying shingles, a straight line will keep it visually appealing and make the roofing system solid.
- Install shingles. The first line of shingles is the most important. Following the chalkline, the roofer lays down this first course. It provides the foundation for the later courses.
- Custom fit around chimney and vents. As the roofer approaches vents and chimneys, the roofing materials needs cut and formed. Sometimes flashing is necessary.
- Complete ridge line. Once all the shingles are in place along the sides. The roofer will apply a series of specially cut shingles along the ridge line to cover the peak of the roof and give a solid cap.
These steps are a simplified list of what a contractor does on a job. Generally on a normal house a complete roof replacement can take two to four days depending on complexity and roofing materials.
Selecting a Quality Oakland Roofing Contractor
When a homeowner faces a roof replacement, going with a professional roofing company with plenty of experience is only way. It is important to check references and make sure the company has proper licensing, insurance, and bonding in place. Accidents do happen and these items protect both the contractor and the homeowner. Pacific Coast Roofing is ready to give all the information a homeowner needs to feel comfortable.
Talking money up front allows the homeowner to know how much the deposit is. Do not pay everything up front. The last item to check is what needs done before the contractor arrives. It might mean moving cars or relocating toys. This will allow the contractor to get to work immediately.
Bring in The Best Oakland Roofing Contractor
Pacific Coast Roofing is the Oakland roofing contractor to call when a problem happens. Roofing is not something to leave to amateurs. Give PCR a call today.